Thursday, April 5, 2012

It's going to be a good day....

Today I started out by having to catch a ride to go get my finger prints taken.  I get in the car on a very busy street corner and we leave.  Upon arriving at our destination in 20 minutes I realize that when I put my sunglasses on and took off my prescription regular glasses that I lost my regular glasses and most probably in the street where I got in the car.  A bad feeling comes over me.  I call someone who happens to be near my apartment and he stops by.  He and the building manager search the road and yes, they found my glasses in the road.... un harmed!  They laid for over 30 minutes in high traffic and survived.  I said to the person who took me for the ride it is going to be a good day....

Next I head off to get my glasses and then to an important meeting.  A call came and my meeting was canceled.  Never the less I went to one of my restaurants to follow up on some business.  While there a gentlemen was having a meeting with the same person who found my glasses and they asked me to sit in.  Turns out I have a personal conversation with the gentleman and find out he is an expat and been in Kuwait for over 14 years.  We hit it off and formed a new friendship.  The neat part is I look forward to our wives meeting and having a few dinners together.  Again I thought, this is going to be a good day....

Next I have a meeting inside of an embassy where I am helping develop another brand.  The team I am assisting is absolutely amazing.  People from many different parts of the world, different experiences and different ages; but they all had the same goal of serving others.  I finished out the newly created menu with them and everyone was happy.  The young man next to me started a conversation by saying he really liked my selections as it reminded him of the Mid West where he grew up.  I said really, what area did you grow up in?  His reply was "Wisconsin".  I smiled and said that was great, what area in Wisconsin did you grow up in as I know several people from there?  His reply was "Richland Center, Wisconsin"....  He told the group we would not know the place as it was so small and nobody knows it... only about 5,000 people in the entire town.  I smiled and said actually I know some about that town... I had heard that on one side of town was a place called Boaz and on the other side of town was a place called Sextonville...  Yes, two people from the same birth place in Richland Center, Wisconsin had ended up in a secure facility 6,800 miles away in Kuwait City, Kuwait!  Many of my FB friends from RC will want know who it was: Tyler Partridge.  I look forward to getting to know him well.  

Before leaving I was given a certificate signed by the Commanding General for Appreciation of Excellence in our work over the last month here in Kuwait.  The big part is I cannot wait to thank my team members for the hard work and dedication.  Over the years I have learned a valuable lesson: "You are only as good as the people that you surround yourself with".    Did I mention "it is a good day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...