Friday, March 16, 2012

Marina Mall Kuwait

Friday is normally my day off while living in Kuwait.  Back in the states some people are fortunate to have off on Saturday and Sunday.  Here it is Friday and maybe Saturday; but typically it is a half day Saturday.  I decided to get out for a bit and went to the Marina Mall.  Janet and I had been there before so I wanted to check it out again.

Located on Gulf Road along the coast the mall is built on one side of the highway with a huge indoor bridge that takes you to the other side where the stores all face a marina.  I shopped on the inside and looked at stores.  Tons of clothing, jewelry, electronics, etc.  Very nicely done.  I then went towards the marina side and it was about 80 degrees out and clear.  About 8 coffee shops line the "crescent" by the marina and it was very busy and a great atmosphere.  People eating sweets, drinking coffees and espresso and most everyone laughing, talking and watching everyone else.  The boats looked great and every now and then one would take off out to sea.

I walked down a ways and looked at many boats. Found a couple tours that will take you for excursions out onto some islands where you can also go on camel rides.  People were buying tickets to go and were very excited.  I then walked around to the other side where I found a awesome beach.  Some people out tanning, some people out walking and a few kids swimming.  Boats going by some and some jet ski's.  I walked a little further and found a bunch of Harley Bikes.  Very nice.  My daughter Mandy and Justin would have loved this as some of them had S&S engines when I checked them out.  Behind the bikes were 2 cars that drew some attention.  I had to go look.  They were the Mclaren F1 cars; one black, one orange.  These are carbon fibre racing machines that cost in the area of about 1 million each.....  Pretty amazing.







I left and went to a store called the Sultan Center and did a little shopping.  Pretty much can find everything you can find in the US but just a little different.  Stopped and had some coffee and a sandwich while watching people and then caught a taxi back to my apartment (here they call them a "flat").  Every time you take a taxi you have to be wise about setting the price first.  When they see the occasional American they always assume big money so the prices they will charge are nearly twice.  So, you say how much and if you disagree just walk away and they start dropping prices.  You have to know the going rates!  If it is over 2KD then you better be going for a long ride!  Each KD is about $3.50.....  Enjoy the pics!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...