Saturday, March 24, 2012

New Friends.....

This past week I met some new friends at the US Embassy.  They are so nice.  Both from the states; she is a Jersey Girl and former NSO entertainer.  She met her husband while traveling with the NSO around the world as a singer, dancer (Bob Hope style) for the US Military.  They invited me to a party with friends at there home so myself and my 'right hand' from work went and attended.  Very cool neighborhood and a true Kuwait Home which is very large (3 stories) and beautiful.  They had both lived in Jordan at one time so most of the furniture was all handmade in Jordan and then brought to Kuwait.  We met there daughter who was 8 and so precious!  In the living/entertaining area were a variety of fresh vegetables, dips, scratch made smoked habanero salsa, chips, nuts, spring rolls & cheeses.  The beverage selection was incredible with juices from around the world; my son in law would have been in heaven with me!

About 10 guest arrived.  Two of them were teachers at The English School and were very interesting to talk to as they lived here for 4 years now.  I spent most of my time with the husband talking about his past experiences, travel and life in the Middle East.  He gave me so many ideas for adjusting my work habits with culture and also a few great vacation ideas!  The best was a contact for a small yacht cruise for 8 couples in the Mediterranean Sea for 7 days that included the boat, captain and a mate for doing the cooking and cleaning for about $550 couple for the week....  We also discussed things to do in Kuwait and places to eat!

I am thankful I have made contacts at the US Embassy since I arrived as every week I seem to make more and more contacts from them for both business and friendship!

I forgot to add one thing... they are from New York / New Jersey area.... they requested all to attend in casual clothing but no jeans.  I wore my Green Bay Packer Jersey under my oxford shirt with dress slacks.  During the evening I found out they both were NY Giants fans so just before we left I stood up and said "man, it is warm in your house; hope you don't mind if I take my shirt off"..... They thought I was crazy as I started undressing and when they saw my jersey they could not believe it!  Ha!  That stoked them up big time!  They called me a smart *ss but loved every minute of it!  Such a good time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...