Saturday, May 5, 2012

it took me 94 days.....

On January 31st I landed in Kuwait City to start a venture and see where it goes....  I had traveled the world many times around and had met many people while doing so.  I have to tell you something... moving somewhere and visiting somewhere are two different things altogether :)

Typical for me was to fly in to an area and spend anywhere from 3 days to 7 days while working the entire time.  You try to take time to meet people and to learn more of the area.  What have I learned now that I have been in Kuwait for 94 days?  Well let me tell you!

*  Traveling somewhere on business around the world and only spending a few days is just plain and simply explained as "smoke and mirrors".  You only see, hear, feel, taste, meet and do what someone wants to experience......  

*  I went 94 days without a tv to listen to.  In the states I had my flat screen Panasonic Plasma that I became addicted to.  Watch my weather, news, sports and a few shows like NCIS, CSI, American Idol, etc.....  Here I read the paper daily and really just work and talk a lot to people for a pure perspective.  I have learned to develop relationships more, spend time at coffee shops and really talk to people and go for walks rather than watching tv.  Janet, Ambyre and Drew will be here soon so yesterday I bought my same flat screen and a dvd player.  Strange thing was I did not turn on the tv yet tonight and now I'm home....

*  People.... look back at some of my other stories on my blog.... people are just not what you expect.  Most of what we know from the US is programmed in your head by the media or by people whom think they know but really do not because most of those people have not lived there.....  People are better here in the most part.  What is better?  Well, for the most part the people that I meet are genuine.  They are real, they like to connect and get to know you.  I'm still somewhat guarded in whom I get to know but for the most part I have came to meet some great new friends.

*  Food....  for 94 days I did not have any resemblance of a home cooked meal from the US.  Tonight that was put to rest!  Great new friends that only live down the street (whom I can't wait for my family to meet) invited me over tonight for dinner.  The dinner was great!  After I cleaned my plate the first time I was asked if I would like to have some more... Yes please!  Dinner was followed by a great peach cobbler... Can't wait to have Janet, Ambyre and Drew here and we invite them down to our place to return the favor!  Thank You Paul & Jennifer!

I absolutely cannot wait to get my family here with me.  The culture, the people, the food.... many things to watch and see how my family reacts.  I hope they enjoy it as much as me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...